Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ahhh.....V-Day....

It's funny how one's opinion changes from year to year on the significance of Valentine's Day. I think my opinion is pretty much consistent, but the degree of agitation is greater in years such as this one. I'm single, Valentine's Day approacheth...what a crappy holiday.

Remember the days of gradeschool? Everyone had to bring a valentine for EVERY PERSON IN THE CLASS. Half the fun was picking out what valentines you'd be handing out. Then came the real fun...choosing who would get each design. I remember artfully choosing the "best" ones for the boys on whom I had crushes. For the boys I'd have rather NOT had chasing me on the playground, I reserved the "You're Neat!" messages. It was always such a fun day at school. Heart shaped sugar cookies, koolaid, snacks. My teeth always hurt at the end of the day from crunching on conversation hearts.

Flash forward to today! I'm 34, and nobody is obligated to give me a valentine. I won't be decorating a box to put at the end of my cube. Nobody will be dropping off copious amounts of valentines. Gone are the days of heart shaped sugar cookies and punch. What I'm left with is a commercialized Hallmark holiday that is meant to make single people feel crappy about their lack of a relationship. It's a day meant to make those who are IN a relationship feel obligated to "prove their love" by buying flowers, jewelry, chocolates...etc.

Shouldn't we be letting our love show 365 days a year? Why is it so special on February 14th? My only consolation this year, is that V-Day falls on a Sunday. I can just stay home with my aforementioned kitty cat and watch ANYTHING but romantic comedies!! I'm thinking I will devote the day to catching up on episodes of Forensic Files. Nothing like a good murder mystery to make you forget about the misery of your singlehood.

More to come.....

No comments:

Post a Comment